Denver, CO (American Cancer Society Press Release)—Strap on your board, click on your skis, and head to the mountain to participate in the American Cancer Society's Hope on the Slopes, an exciting fundraising event that combines your passion for powder with the courage to find a cure.
FACT: In 2006, an estimated 564,000 Americans died from cancer and an additional 1.4 million were diagnosed with a new case of cancer. Despite these disheartening numbers, the number of total cancer deaths has been slowly decreasing since 2002-2003. This, the first such decrease in over 70 years*, is encouraging evidence that efforts to fight cancer are working.
Join our fight and help support your local Hope on the Slopes event as well as supporting cancer research, education, patient services and advocacy.
Hope on the Slopes is a team and individual skiing/snowboarding event where participants engage in a virtual competition with other participants in two categories: Dollars Raised and Vertical Feet, where participants raise money through pledges and donations.
Participating 2008 locations are:
- Bogus Basin Recreation Area, ID, February 1st
- (Vertical Rally) Loveland Ski Area, CO, February 23rd
- Tamarack Resort, ID, February 23rd
- Greek Peak Mountain Resort, NY, March 8th and 9th
- Steven's Pass Ski Resort, WA, March 8th and 9th
- White Pass Ski Resort, WA, March 15th and 16th
Log on to http://community.acsevents.org/hopeontheslopes to participate, support or to find out more specific information about your local event!
For more information please contact 1-800-ACS-2345 or www.cancer.org.
* All facts and figures were taken from the "American Cancer Society's Cancer Statistics 2006 report