The Winter X Games usually takes place in Aspen in January. This year, for the first time, a European Winter X is also taking place in Tignes, France. And the action started today, with the men's ski superpipe finals held Wednesday under the lights.
The home team clearly had the advantage: Kevin Rolland, from La Plagne, France, took gold and Tignes local Xavier Bertoni took silver. For the win Rolland threw two double flips and a double cork 1260. He earned gold at Winter X in Aspen this winter by being the first skier to ever land this trick in competition. “I couldn’t have dreamt of a better situation,” Rolland said. “We (Bertoni) were one and three in Aspen and now for the first edition at home we are one and two.”
Canada’s Justin Dorey rounded out the top three with back-to-back doubles. “Because I am from North America, the X Games in Aspen means more to me, but for Kevin and Xavier to win here in their own country of France, it must mean the same,” Dorey said.
Full results from men’s ski superpipe. Check back during the week for more updates from Tignes.
1. Kevin Rolland 175 La Plagne, France 95.660
2. Xavier Bertoni 259 Tignes, France 92.000
3. Justin Dorey 170 Vernon, Canada 86.660
4. Mike Riddle 264 Sherwood Park, Canada 85.000
5. Byron Wells 265 Wanaka, New Zealand 84.330
6. Jossi Wells 536 Wanaka, New Zealand 82.660
7. Tucker Perkins 174 North Hampton, NH, USA 80.330
8. AJ Kemppainen 261 Kuusamo, Finland 75.330