February 2, 2006
New York, NY - (News Release) - Keystone Resort teamed up with Jack Turner of Snow Monsters for the first-ever Sports Illustrated For Kids Next Snow Search All-Stars event Jan. 27-28, presented by Kellogg's Frosted Flakes. The event brought together the elite members of the 2004 and 2005 Next Snow teams and the winners of this year's Super Qualifiers for two days of competition.
A one-hour show featuring the S.I. FOR KIDS Next Snow Search "All-Stars" Presented by Kellogg's Frosted Flakes will air on NBC Sports on Saturday, February 11 (2-3 p.m. ET), the first day of competition of the Olympic Winter Games in Torino, Italy.
During the All-Stars event at Keystone, the best of the best competed in such events as Big Air, Slopestyle, SuperPipe, and Big Mountain Cross. More than 65 girls and boys, skiers and snowboarders between the ages of 10 and 15 competed together. Besides their on-snow performance, they were judged on attitude, personality and character as well. This is the only event that combines the sports, genders and disciplines in this unique progressive format.
The final award for the competitors was to be named to the elite first-ever Sports Illustrated For Kids All-Stars Team. Other awards that were presented to one boy and one girl competitor included Best Overall Skier; Best Overall Snowboarder; Best Overall and Sportsmanship.
Additionally, special awards were given by the event's presenting sponsor, Kellogg's Frosted Flakes. Mark Baynes, Senior Vice President of Marketing for Kellogg's Morning Foods, presented awards to four athletes who the Next Snow judges believed truly embodied the Kellogg's Frosted Flakes Earn Your Stripes ideal.
Earn Your Stripes, which launched in 2004, is designed to encourage kids to eat right, be more active, and work hard to achieve all of their goals. The Earn Your Stripes initiative includes sponsorship of a number of youth and fitness programs, including the 2006 Winter Olympics, the Junior Olympics Skills Competition and the nonprofit organization Girls on the Run.
During the two days of competition this past weekend, 65 athletes vied for the few spots on the honorary Next Snow All-Stars Team. Based on their overall scores from all of the events, 12 skiers and snowboarders from 11 different resorts across North America were selected.
The 2006 Sports Illustrated For Kids Next Snow All-Stars Team is:
* Madeline Schaffrick; Snowboard; Steamboat, CO
* Taylor Owen; Snowboard; Sunday River, ME
* Brooke Shaw; Snowboard; Stratton, VT
* Jozy Gessner; Ski; Breckenridge, CO
* Siena Palmacci; Ski; The Canyons, UT
* Sophia Schwartz; Ski; Waterville Valley, NH
* Ben Watts; Snowboard; Oregon
* Brennen Swanson; Snowboard; Afton Alps, MN
* Dylan Bidez; Snowboard; Copper Mountain, CO
* Karl Fostvedt; Ski; Steamboat, CO
* Kyle Smain; Ski; Heavenly, CA
* Duncan Adams; Ski; Stowe, VT
The winners of the Kellogg's Frosted Flakes Earn Your Stripes Award are:
* Alex Berg; Snowboard; Hyland, MN
* Kerry-Anne Hamilton; Ski; Whistler, BC Canada
* Spencer Shaw; Snowboard; Stratton, VT
* Brian Kish; Ski; Nemacolin Woodlands, PA